2014 was a great year for music. Taylor Swift had the best selling and, arguably, most enjoyable pop album of the year; two 39 year olds put out one of the most aggressive rap albums in recent memory with Run The Jewels 2; and adorable human/coffee drink Ariana Grande appeared in 75% of all songs. I’m generally a big fan of year end lists but narrowing down a year’s worth of music to 14 songs was a challenge, a fun one to be sure, but still tough. If I sat down in a week and did this again, I have no idea how similar my list would be.
Of course, subjectivity is what makes all of these year end rankings and discussions so much fun. You literally can’t be wrong. Even if you’re the worst and just make your entire year end list nothing but Iggy Azalea songs, your opinion would be just as valid as anyone else’s. So with that in mind, enjoy the list below which features 14 of my favorite songs of the year.
If you think fan-made YouTube videos aren’t the best way to enjoy music, I’ve also made Rdio and Spotify playlists.1 I highly recommend the Ages & Ages video and Father John Misty’s live performance below though.
14. Vampire Weekend – Step (Wintertime Mix ft. Danny Brown, Heems & Despot)
13. First Aid Kit – Heaven Knows
12. Taylor Swift – Out of the Woods
11. Tennis – Solar on the Rise
10. Kendrick Lamar – i
9. Lana Del Rey – Brooklyn Baby
8. Jenny Lewis – The Voyager
7. Sylvan Esso – Hey Mami
6. Ages and Ages – Divisionary (Do The Right Thing)
5. Spoon – Rainy Taxi
4. Father John Misty – Bored in the USA
3. Run the Jewels – Oh My Darling Don’t Cry
2. St. Vincent – Severed Crossed Fingers
1. The New Pornographers – War on the East Coast
Think your list is better? I agree! Post your own in the comments as I’d love for this to become a huge collaborative listing of the best 2014 had to offer.
- With 13 of the 14 songs. ↩